Frequently Asked Questions
Check here for information you can not find elsewhere on our site. This list will grow over time, so be sure to keep checking periodically.
Click on the QUESTION to reveal the ANSWER.
- What is the door swing radius of the Reach-In chambers?
The door swing radius is 120 cm (40”) as measured from front surface of closed door. The door opens a full 180 degrees.
- What are the suggested clearance for Reach-In chambers?
Minimum suggested unit clearances are 16 cm (6") for sides, 46 cm (18") for back, and 31 cm (12") for top. Suggested location(s) for room air supply or air return grill is within 5' of chamber(s).
- The Reach-In chamber is too tall to pass through our doorways. Can the chamber be tilted?
The Reach-In chamber can be tilted or laid on it’s side for a brief period of time. Tip the chamber to the right (as seen from the front) and allow no less than 4 hours in upright position before power up.
- The double-wide and triple-wide Reach-In chambers are too wide to fit through our doorways. What do you recommend?
All Doublewide and Triplewide chambers are shipped in sections that will pass through standard doorways. Once they are in the final location they are cam-locked together.
- Does the Reach-In quotation include installation?
BES Reach-In chambers are designed for easy installation. However, installation and Owner’s Instruction sessions can be provided at an additional cost by BES factory technicians. Our sales department can provide a quotation for this service.
- What is the warranty on BES Reach-In chambers.
BES standard Reach-In chamber warranty is 13 months from date of shipment. Extended warranties can be purchased.
- When is Preventive Maintenance and Calibration recommended?
PM and calibration intervals are typically dependent upon your company’s SOPs. BES provides an intensive preventive maintenance & calibration program to our line of chambers as well as non-BES manufactured chambers. Our program ensures your chambers are maintained at peak operational capability. BES also conducts calibration & certification of the process control instrumentation. The calibration is NIST traceable. BES recommends a semi-annual maintenance interval to service your chambers.
- What are Factory Acceptance Testing (FAT) options?
Level I: Completed manufacturing forms and uniformity test data is provided as part of the Level I FAT. Performance uniformity testing is conducted at a single set point. Temperature testing is conducted utilizing (8) Type "T" thermocouples located at widely separated points throughout the chamber. Relative humidity testing (if applicable) is conducted utilizing (1) relative humidity transmitter. Testing is conducted for (1) hour duration. Production Review Checklists for Pre-Checks/Configuration/Calibration and uniformity test data is provided.
Level II: Level I documentation with extended uniformity testing. Performance Uniformity Testing is conducted for (4) hours at a single set point. The test is conducted utilizing a multipoint Kaye Datalogging Recorder certified within twelve months of the test date. Pre and post calibrations are performed for ES certified standards, traceable to the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST). Test data is clear and legible, with no overprinting.
Level III: Available upon request; Custom FAT to customer's specification. Allows customer to observe testing at BES factory in Raleigh, NC.
- What is the NEMA power cord and receptacle.
If the chamber will not be hard wired into the building, a NEMA power cord and matching receptacle can be provided at an additional cost.
- What is the maximum data storage capacithy of the CCS-3000 Touchscreen Controller. Once it has reached capacity does it write over existing files?
The CCS can store years of data, considering a normal frequency of data points. A warning message will be displayed when the history file has reached capacity. You will be instructed to transfer the data or delete files.
- I noted that the unit has capability to control humidity. Can I just hook it up to city water?
BES provide both temperature only control chambers and temperature and humidity control chambers. City water typically does not meet the water requirements for the steam generators, and BES can provide water purification systems. BES can also provide water testing at no charge.
- Do you have benchtop stands for the 12 cu ft chambers? Or can the chambers be stacked?
BES provides single stainless steel benchtop stands or stacking benchtop stands.
- Is it possible to connect an external monitoring system to the sensors?
Yes. We can provide 4-20mA output signals, RS-485 communication lines, or an Ethernet connection. Please reference the FAQ on monitoring options for more details.
- Does each bank have individual displays for light intensity?
Yes. Each light source has its own sensor, controller and timer.
- Does the Reach-In chamber come with CSA electrical certification?
Yes. BES standard Reach-In chambers are built to meet or exceed METâ(NRTL), UL-61010 standards for safety and performance and carry the CSA certification
- Is there a way that we could get copies of the O&M manuals for the Reach-In chambers before they arrive?
We can send electronic copies of the chamber User Manual and the CCS User Manual. The complete O&M will be shipped with the chambers.
- What are the std. communication / output capabilities for the CCS-3000 control system?
Dry contacts (standard – read only): Dry contacts are provided for connection to a building monitoring system, to monitor alarm conditions. A one set of contacts is used for high or low temperature and / or relative humidity (as applicable).
Ethernet (standard – read only): An output is provided for connection to a personal computer, using an IP address and web browser. The web browser displays various process variables and alarms, such as actual chamber temperature, actual relative humidity, process variable setpoints, and system alarms with name and date/time of alarms.
Analogue 4-20 mA (optional – read only): A scaled 2-wire output provides remote monitoring capability of temperature and relative humidity (as applicable) conditions. The output is linearly scaled across the typical ranges of -30 C to 70 C and 0 % to 100% RH (as applicable).
Ethernet (optional – read / write): The standard Ethernet output, in combination with an optional Ethernet gateway which converts TCP/IP protocol to Modbus RTU, provides full read/write communication with the control system. A manual is provided which discusses programming, connections, etc.
RS-485 (optional – read / write): This 2-wire connection provides remote monitoring and communication capability with the control system. The communication protocol is Modbus RTU, and a manual is provided which discusses programming, read/write registers, etc.
- What are the recording capabilities of the BES control panel?
The BES control panel features the CCS-3000 touchscreen control system which has integral trending and long-term recording of temperature and humidity (as applicable). The control system conforms to the requirements of FDA 21 CFR Part 11. The integral recording has become increasingly popular over the common options of paper chart recorders and separate electronic recorders. Paper chart recorders and electronic recorders from popular brands such as Honeywell, Partlow, and Future Design Controls are available upon request.
- What are the water requirements for humidified BES chambers?
BES chambers require “purified” water, which is generally defined as distilled, deionized, or reverse osmosis water. All three water types are acceptable, assuming the water falls within the specified limits as detailed below. Note that most tap water sources and ultra-pure deionized water sources are not acceptable.
The water quality requirements are as follows:
- pH > 6.0
- Chlorides < 20 mg / L (proper purification should eliminate chlorides)
- Chlorine = 0 mg / L (proper purification with carbon filters should eliminate chlorine)
- Resistivity = 25,000 – 15,000,000 Ohm-cm ( ? - cm)
- Conductivity (equivalence to above) = 40 – 0.067 microSiemens / cm. (?S / cm)
- Total dissolved solids (TDS) < 20 parts per million (ppm)
- Hardness (grains CaCO3) < 1 grain per gallon (gpg)